Saturday, March 31, 2012

Holiday for two weeks

That news has given the weather something to think about so the wall to wall sunshine we’ve recently experienced has finished now.

BSC passed last week and then Brenda and I spent the day ‘de-winterising’ Jannock last Sunday ready for our Easter holiday cruise. Watch this space for daily reports starting Monday.


Thursday, March 01, 2012

Making the most of the weather

With wonderful spring-like days last weekend I decided it was time to try out my sign-writing skills I acquired at the training weekend I attended last September. The course was tutored by Meg of Scribe Signwriting and I found it made me confident enough toIMG_0027 ‘have a go’ on Jannock. OK I was not going to be starting a completely blank panel with all the setting out techniques that we learnt, I just had to go over what was already, albeit fading fast, there.

I started off by over-coating the grey lettering on the side name panel. I used the Masons Corfe Grey that Jannock’s roof is done in and added plenty of One-shot reducer to make it flow better. This coupled with a long chisel ended sable brush made it quite easy to follow the edges of the existing lettering and then fill in the middle. Once the lettering had dried I used Masons Mercedes Red to create the shadowing and also re-paint the panel border.IMG_0031

When I had finished the panel looked like this. Much better than the weather worn panel I started with. Full of confidence and time to spare whilst I waited for the various coats of paint to dry, I decided to have a go at the bow name panel as well – both sides!

I painted the name first and then re-did the white back ground around the letters. A slightly tedious approach but it meant I could re-do the back ground without having to re-do all of the  lettering from scratch. I got so involve that I ran out of time and had to return again on Sunday to complete the task. It was more difficult doing the off-side panel by hanging over the top of the gas locker and painting upside down but the finished item looks as good as the bank-side one.

I have taken the day off work tomorrow in order to push the boat across to the towpath and complete the job by re-painting the starboard rear name panel.