Monday, September 07, 2009

A post-operative trip for Brenda

Having had Saturday to recover from Friday's face surgery to remove a Carcinoma, I had to take Brenda and Margaret (our neighbour) with me to move Jannock on Sunday as we are away in Manchester next weekend and she wouldn't let me do the move on my own. We arrived at HartsHill Yard just after 10 am and were soon on our way south. I spent most of the trip steering and Brenda stayed inside, out of the cold wind, chatting with Margaret. The Coventry canal is still nice and open around the quarries near Nuneaton since BW performed the major vedge-pledge work two years ago. We did seem to meet several other boats in obscured bridge holes even though there were two other boats travelling South in front of us. As I commented to a Northbound boater that there was no one following me he added "It's a pity they never said about you" indicating to the boat in front. Oh well, no damage done due to effective avoidance. At Sutton's we were 4th in the queue for the lock with another boat behind us. I hung around on the Coventry until there was room to turn into the basin outside the pub. Once through the lock and I managed to get my lunch, the crew had eaten theirs just before we arrived at the stop lock. We finally tied up on a 14 day mooring, had a flypast from a Mk 14 Spitfire and then the crew picked Blackberries whilst I went back to Hartshill on the Di Blasi for the car. All secured and on the way home by 4:30.

Graham

www.jannock.org.uk

No comments: